Tuesday 23 August 2011

Knowledge and wisdom





“Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.” Or so the saying goes.

At the risk of ruining any reputation for sagacity I’d like to question this. I wonder if the originator of the saying had actually tried it. Have you?

A while ago the Times had a pullout section containing a selection of salad suggestions. I liked the idea of peach and tomato. It sounded an intriguing combination. So I gave it a go. And this is the result.

First make a ring , alternating segments of peach and tomato. I had some blueberries left over so filled the central hole with these. For garnish (and to make it more filling) I used Lamb’s lettuce.

I used it as a first course. I hesitate to use the word starter as that implies a small course and, where I have more than one, they tend to be more equal in size.

Why not surprise your next guests with this. Even if you are not raw it makes a healthy start to a meal.



No comments:

Post a Comment